Lorne Cline Cradle with Cane Sides
Lorne Cline contacted me by email June 2009, with this Beautiful project that
he custom created. Take a look at his Beautiful work & read his story.
He used the contrasting colors of Black Walnut & Maple woods. Added in the
cane & did his own twist of using leather for the binding. Here is his
story in his words & pictures.
Wonderful work Lorne. Excellent.
Thank you for sharing with the caning community.
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2009
Thanks for your webpage on caning instructions. Also, thank you for showing different projects. If you are interested, I have attached a photo of a cradle that I just completed following your instructions. Please feel free to add it to your webpage.
One thing that I do that deviates from your instructions is to use leather lace to finish of the border. I was having too much difficulty with the cane border.
The Side Rail Design.
I have attached the rail design here. I cut a channel in the back of the rails and drilled into these. The cane on the inside is inside this channel and I covered this with a ¼” x 1” strip to hide all of the inside work.
This is the first of two that I am making. One is for a grandchild due in August and the one in this picture was given to my wife’s cousin as a shower present for their child due a week earlier. The shower was yesterday. I was pleased to hear that she cried with joy when she saw what I made.
I used Black Walnut for the sides and Maple for the ends and stand. I finished this with 100% Tung Oil since this is non-toxic. The oil created a nice finish even on the back of the natural cane. Since Tung Oil tends to build up layers it fills in the underside of the cane as well.
I used 2.5mm cane but spaced the holes at ¾” instead of 5/8” This turned out to
be a mistake since I was originally going to use the daisy and buttons pattern
but it didn’t look very good with that spacing. The sides are dimensioned at 15”
x 36” overall so I thought that I could cheat by drilling fewer holes with the
larger spacing. Even with this cheating the caning took me approximately 20 to
25 hours each side. Maybe I will get faster with practice. I started with the
longest dimension for steps 1 and 3 since this minimized the weaving in step 4
to the shortest dimension. The diagonals were easy with the ¾” spacing (this was
my second project with cane) .
I learned a new trick for the finishing border using the leather lace. I would pull up on the cane to make it tight on the back side and hold this in place with very fine needle nose pliers as I pulled down to loop over the lace. Since one side of these pliers would be on top of the lace it held that in place as well to give me a cleaner finish. I can send you a photo after I start on the second cradle to show you what I mean.
I wanted to use cane since I have read non scientific studies that link SIDS to closed-in cradles and bassinets. I like the look of cane and felt that this gives a lot of ventilation.
The design was loosely based on free plans found on the web which I revised to suit the tools I have available. The overall size was based on typical Cradle mattress dimensions at 18” x 36”. Once I had the length at 36” the height was based on looks. With the length of the side at 36” anything shorter than 15” didn’t look right.
Back to Wayne's Caning Website